For those who have always dreamed of having something fun in their garden, building a fish pond is the way to go. This will be a charming addition, to a beautifully kept garden.
A fish pond will make the garden one of the most favorite spots in the house. Not only will it be fun for kids, but the garden will also be a great place to entertain friends of the family.
But before building a fish pond, individuals must first plan a fish pond! Digging a giant hole in the garden, does not a fish pond make! This project takes a lot of time, effort, and planning! especially for those who have never picked up a pair of shovel in their lives.
Here are some great tips on how to build a fish pond:
1. Location is everything. First individuals must decide where they want to dig their fish pond. Picking a random place in the garden is not a good away to go about selecting a place for a fish pond. Remember that this will be a part of the permanent landscape of the garden. So be wise when it comes to picking a spot.
It is important to note that building a pond under a tree might not be the best idea. This is especially true of deciduous trees which habitually shed their leaves. Individuals would have a hard time keeping the fish pond clean and unpolluted.
Individuals may also choose to have an elevated fish pond. This is the one that goes above ground level. The downside is that this tends to be more expensive to construct.
2. Pick a design for the fish pond. First individuals would have to decide on the size of the pond they want to build. Ideally, the size of the pond should be proportionate to the size of the area of the garden. The fish pond can be rectangular, square, or any other shape one chooses. The key is to make sure it is even out, and symmetrical.
3. Those who want to have plants on their fish pond should keep in mind that they should place their fish pond in a place where it can be exposed to great amount of sun light.
4. Make sure that when constructing a natural pond, that you dig deep enough, so that the pond does not freeze over during winter. Also, consider what types of aquatic life you want to include in the pond before digging. The depth of the pond will also be determined by the kinds of plants, and fish that will reside in the fish pond.
5. Individuals should make sure that they do not make their fish pond too small. This is a mistake that a lot of beginners make. This is because the lay out as start out with will always almost end up smaller than what you had in mind once the fish pond has actually been realized.
Building a fish pond is not an easy task. It will require a lot of effort and hard work. Individuals should ask friends who have experience with gardening to assist them with this project. It is best to do some research before starting on the pond. The internet is a great place to pick up tips.